Hi, I’m Vanessa Monaghan, a writer who shares travel advice, tips and stories from more than 25 years of travel.
I’ve Been Travelling Since 1991
When I was a kid, my family couldn’t afford many holidays or vacations. Every few years we’d manage a week or two at the beach, but for the most part, our only travel experience was the 12 hour drive from Canberra to Balaklava, South Australia where my grandparents lived.
We made that torturous drive in one day every Christmas, with me and my brothers, plus our dogs, crammed in the back seat of our 1970s family rattletrap. The years we had a car with air conditioning were slightly less traumatising.
I was 20 years old when I read Neither Here Nor There by Bill Bryson and became obsessed with seeing the world. Since then I’ve travelled extensively through the U.S.A, Canada, the U.K and Europe.
I enjoy writing about my travels as much as being on the road.
Here’s a few travel facts about me:
- I prefer travelling in the off season and in the cooler months of the year.
- I like the beach, but I’m not a fan of sun or sand. You’ll find me under a tree or an umbrella.
- My favourite city is Rome.
- At Christmas time I love visiting Disneyland.
- I collect Christmas ornaments wherever I travel.
- I love staying in neighbourhoods and cooking and shopping like a local.
- I take all my photos and videos on an iPhone.
- I prefer the aisle to the window seat on the plane.
- I love visiting libraries and bookstores everywhere I go.
- I’m obsessed with farmer’s markets.
- Somewhere I’d like to travel is Scandinavia.
- I like playing tourist in my hometown, in Australia and around the world.
Thanks so much for taking the time to find out a little more about me and what I write about.